Sunday, March 20, 2005

Eskimo Joe

I have finished my report, and to reward myself, I'm going to watch Eskimo Joe tonight!

I remember when I first got into the Eskies back in 1999. They were a completely different sound, very raw, youthful, exuberant. I liked it a lot. I was going through some changes in my life, and their music really helped me to cope with the pressures coming with the teenage years.

However, as I've grown up, my taste has predictably changed. And funnily enough, so has the sound of Eskimo Joe. They've become a whole lot more melodic and reflective. When Their album Girl came out in 2001, I knew exactly what they were trying to achieve. They made the album cover look snazzy and modern, and the songs were more layered and intricate. Whilst it was good, it was probably a little too contrived for the alterative scene, and a little too surprising for the mainstream.

2004 - and the success of bands like Jet, the Vines and Coldplay have made it cool to have genuine melodies behind songs. Eskimo Joe has tapped into that and they've stripped back their songs, boosted the vocals and gone simple with the album look. Their second album A Song Is A City is great. It fits my muscial preference perfectly.



http://www.eskimojoe.net/

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home