Monday, March 21, 2005

Eskimo Joe: the aftermath

I'm back from Eskimo Joe and I'm slightly deaf. We were very, very close to the stage, and some weird things happened, but it's best if I start at the top. (pics not from the actual gig)

Left home at 5.30, in an attempt to get to Dino's by 6. Got there at 6 and then got a lift with Lin into Freo, no dramas. Found parking at 6.45, concert starts at 7, it's all sweet.

Walk up to the door of Metros only to be greeted with a sign: "Due to liquor licensing laws, the concert advertised at 7 will now begin at 8."

*sigh*

So we had some time to kill, we walked to Fast Eddies and got some wedges and calimari rings. Which were actually quite tasty, and killed the time a bit more than we had liked as we got to the club at 7.50 with quite a line in front of us. We waited though and little by little we managed to get in.

8.05: We're in. And as expected everyone else there goes to the bar.

8.10: We decide to make the first move toward the stage. About twenty people join us at the very front, in the spitting zone of the singers.

8.45: We're getting restless. We know there's a support act first, and we're all getting tired. The others moreso after having ridden 30km in the morning on the freeway bike ride thing.

9.15: We're getting kind of pissed off. There's no sign of anybody starting although there's some roadie movement on stage.

9.45: Steve Parkin and the Foreign Films start playing. It's just loud, loud rock. Some acoustic moments but just really, really loud.

10.15: They still haven't finished their set and the crowd is getting bored. There's a big sheer when they announce their last song.

10.30: Still waiting for the Eskies.

10.45: BANG! And we're underway. The first song is Come Down.

Other songs they played included Older Than You, Smoke, I'm So Tired, Seven Veils, Life is Better With You, a superb rendition of Aint No Sunshine, Liar, and the last song From the Sea.

One very weird thing happned near the end of the set. This girl, kind of dirty looking, blonde, came up and barged past Dino and stood at the front of the stage. We all looked at each other, and shrugged. I thought to myself that we can't let this stand so I had a word to her, which she fobbed off with some weird reply. Anyway, I resigned myself to having this weirdo girl next to me.

But then it happened. I glanced over to my right and saw her taking off her panties.

Yes. Taking off her panties.

She then put them in her bag and mouthed something to the guy on keys, who couldn't hear her. When I looked again, she was dancing and moving her head around.

I took a pace back and mouthed something to the others, which they couldn't understand. The next thing I knew, she had thrown them on the stage.

They were bright pink, and huge! It was disgusting.

Anyway, she eventually walked off, having done the deed. I guess that's all she wanted to do.

Before the last song there was another intruder however. She came up and decided to dance right next to us, almost knocking Dino over in the process. She jumped about, and must have seen the weird look I gave her and asked me to join in.

"Come on, join in!"

"I don't think so."

"You're at the front, you have to!"

"No, I'm not."

After the song she walked off and wished me a good night, and apologised for being annoying. Well, maybe not for bing annoying but she did apologise regardless.

Eskimo Joe finished off with a song I had never heard before and Wake Up, my favourite song off the first album.

It was a great evening, although the lateness of everything was a bit annoying. The strange girls made the night a little more interesting than it would have been.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home