Sunday, August 01, 2004

What's it like being a med student?

At the moment? Not great.

Typically, my day involves waking up at 7am, catching the bus to the train station, then catching a train into Perth. Then I get another connecting train into the hospital, arriving at 8.45am. Then we have our psych meeting, where the doctors on the C-L team talk to each other as well as the psychologists about the various patients needing to be seen, or have been seen.

This goes on until about 9.15. After that I typically am given a list of patients that might be good to talk to - and then I spend the morning looking for them, and interviewing them. Otherwise, I sit in with a psychiatrist in the outpatient clinic where he sees patients. I've got to say, it's not the most stimulating of activities.

Sometimes we have little tutes with the nicer of the doctors, where we actually learn stuff. Other than that, I'm supposed to be getting proficient at taking a psychiatric history in preparation for the exam next week (Aug 10).

I'm not really looking forward to it. It's a one hour interview with a patient after which we're supposed to present the case back to a doctor, who then makes us look like idiots. As well as that, we have 20 mins after for them to ask more questions of us and show us how little we actually know.

As well as that, there's a test two days after that, based on the material in 42 lectures on pathology, immunology, microbiology and pharmacology. How joyous.

The new Arsenal kit doesn't look too bad.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home