Wednesday, October 20, 2004

OSCE

OSCE was today. And I have to say, it's difficult to know how I went. It's really hard to say - and everyone else felt the same way too, so hopefully I won't fail!

Woke up, kind of groggily at about 9am (exam was at 3pm). Tried to go down and do some work; switched on the computer, and promptly went back up to sleep. Sleep is a nice way of escaping from your problems. Anyway, I went through the ophthal cases from the flying fish and then tried to read up more stuff. It's really hard to read anything when you're completely tensed up and nervous! Ended up playing FIFA 2004 for about an hour instead. That way I didn't feel so nervous.

12.30, and I decide that I should eat. I did, but it was a bit of a waste. Far too nervous to eat. Had a shower, came down a again, ate some more and then left for Fremantle. Eventually got there at 2.05 and tried in vain to study, eventually gave up, and tried to sleep instead. Again, failed.

2.45, decide to give it a go and walk to the exam. I found the other students, and we sat there for 45 minutes until they finished with the earlier session and then we sat there in the Freo Common room some more, drank cordial and waited for our fate. Like being on death row, really. It's not nice waiting a long time for something you don't want to happen!

First Station. (1 of 8): Geriatric Assessment. "This is Mrs Johnson. Can you assess her level of disability and then assess her gait?" WTF?

Ok. "Mrs Johnson, how would you say you cope with your day to day living?"

"What dear? I'm a little deaf."

Great start.

Eventually I kind of did it. It wasn't pretty though.

Next Station (2 of 8) Ophthal: "This is Mr Whatever. He is a diebetic. Examine his eyes."

Look look. No evidence of diabetic retinopathy. No enlarged cup:disc ratio.

"Maybe some hard exudates? I dunno."

Ok look at the pictures. Periorbital cellulitis. Conjunctivitis. Central retinal artery occlusion!!

Next station. (3 of 8) ID. Foot with cellulitis. What kind of bugs? Staph, Strep.

What kind of things predispose you to getting an infection?

What do you use to treat? Fluclox. What if penicillin allergy? Cephalothin. What if penicillin anaphylaxis? Erythro? No. Vanc.

"All right. Good luck."

Next station (4 of 8): Psych. "I'm a patient recently diagnosed with depression," says the examiner. "Can you tell me how this drug works and what kind of side effects I might have?"

Oookkkaaaay.

"Um, interacts with Tramadol. Serotonin Syndrome."

"..."

"..."

"..."

"Confusion in the elderly."

"..."

"Would it affect my sexual function in any way?" he asks.

"YES!"

"..."

"Erectile dysfunction?"

The real answer is failure to ejaculate. I should have known that.

The next few are a bit of a blur. I know I had to do a Resp exam. The patient apparently had bronchiectasis, which I missed. There was the Charcot Marie Tooth lady, who had a peripheral neuropathy and myopathy. There was a largeish lady with a nice scar in the midline, incisional hernia. There was a peripheral vascular exam from someone who gets claudication on walking.

Forgot to look at sputum. Forgot to ask for resp sats. Forgot to look at Medic Alert Bracelet.

BUT IT'S OVER!

1 Comments:

Anonymous Blackjack Bonuses said...

What nice message

6/01/2011 05:51:00 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home