Tuesday, September 28, 2004

STD Clinic, and bad news about the car

So I tried my best to be late to the STD clinic today. It's 7.30, and my dad's asking me what time I need to get up. I lie and say 7.45, when I know the bus I normally catch leaves at 7.55. No way I could get that bus that quickly. -Anyway, I take my time and miss that bus, catching the later one. I get to Warwick at 8.30am.

After that, I caught the train; got to Perth at 8.45, and then caught the CAT to RPH. Arrived at Ainslie House at about 8.51am.

And I'm early, despite my best efforts.

STD clinic wasn't nearly as bad as I thought it could have been. Saw some interesting things that I hope I never see again. Genital wart, herpes, chlamydia, vulvar vestibulitis.

It was eye-opening to say the least.

The microbiologist was really nice - got to see some nice slides of those things I never bothered to learn. eg

What is the pathology?

This is a pap smear. Look at the bottom right hand corner of the pic. That entire cell is covered in bacteria. Mixed flora, including Gardnarella. This is bacterial vaginosis.

It's meant to be Gardnarella vaginalis, but in reality it's an overgrowth of that bacteria and lots of others too, like anaerobes and stuff.

You can't see chlamydia on the gram stain. It's an obligate intracellular pathogen, but it's almost impossible to see. Diagnosis is made clinically and via the presence of neutrophils on a high-powered field.

With gonorrhoea you see gram-negative intracellular diplococci. They're not hard to see.


Candida. Yeasts. You can see the hyphae (fronds).

Anyway, after that clinic had a quick lunch, met some guy called Ian who's a friend of Winston's. (Physio student)

Then went to the team meeting and then a long ward round.

Back home at 5pm.

Arrived home to the news the car won't be ready until October 20!

Damn.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home