Sunday, February 27, 2005

Bored, amotivated

You'd hardly think that the exam is on Thursday, for the amount of effort I seem to be putting in. I don't really know how much they expect us to cover. They reckon it could be anything we've seen in GP - but for me that isn't a great amount.

They won't have skin lesions. I know that, because they expect us to diagnose the problem mostly from history. And they won't have a common cold because that's too damn easy. I expect it would most likely be something like asthma, back pain, depression, STD... Not sure what else. And I still don't know whether I know enough. And I can't be bothered studying.

Gosh I sound like a whinger.

Tomorrow I have to hand in the long case and the portfolio. My preceptor must like me or something because he gave me a pretty good mark.

The long case is full of shit.

The most important lesson I have gained from this case is the patient-centred approach to management. Visiting the patient in their own home and asking them to explain what their understanding of the disease has given me a much better realisation of the weight a doctor’s words carry. As such, it is very important to remember that it is the patient (and not the disease they have!) that needs to be treated and kept at the forefront of our thoughts.

Haha!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home