Thursday, February 24, 2005

General Practice

So its been about a month since I last posted here. And what can I say about what's been happening?

Well, I've seen some stuff, chatted to some patients, and now I'm stressing about the exam next Thursday. Watching skin lesions being cut out of people is cool, and then suturing them up again is even cooler. Last week, I saw a guy with a basal cell carcinoma (bcc) on his nose, and one of the GPs had to cut it out. That was interesting - the way the cut was made (along the lines of Langer) meant that his nose had to be pulled up. Like Nicole Kidman, as the doc said.

But all in all, GP has been pretty boring.

I've been sitting there on my ass in the corner of the surgery and watched my dude consult, write out prescriptions, teach me the bloody wrong thing (MR is a pansystolic murmur, not a diastolic one, you dolt!) and then nick off at 3pm. 3pm. Yeah that's a good thing, finishing early means I can go home earlier - but for some reason when I get home, I am so exhausted. Even surg term last year wasn't that tiring - or maaybe it was but I wasn't so bored!!

Other things I've seen? A girl with Charcot Marie Tooth disease, coming in for assessment of her ability to work (which the GP couldn't do as he hadn't seen her before), plenty of UTIs, someone with chronic bronchitis, sinusitis, otitis media, 2 pap smears, depression, anxiety, viral URTIs.

Gotten some nice drug company lunches and morning teas, and went on a nursing home visit with my dude after one of his patients had a stroke. Turned out it was most likely a TIA as she was back to her usual (albeit not so good) self.

Then we have sessions at the Dept of Gp in Claremont. Each Monday and Thursday we meet there to discuss cases we need to learn, and different approaches to patient management. They suck too.

But what sucks the most is the exam next Thursday. 15 minute consult. Talk to the patient. Diagnose. Manage. Arrange follow-up.

It's a little daunting.

Let's see how we go.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home