Tuesday, January 02, 2007

First day of work

Happy New Year everyone!

Today was my first paid day as a doctor.

Well, not exactly - I didn't actually do any 'doctor-type' real work today, just sat through a day full of lectures and tried very hard not to fall asleep. It's our introductory week, a week full of lectures and 'revision seminars', or in other words, cramming our brains with stuff we have already learned but managed to forget since our final exams two months ago.

But we get paid for it! Which is a far cry from medical school, where we paid through the nose for similar teaching. Unfortunately, from looking at my roster, I'm not going to have very much time to enjoy using my money. Oh well. I'll just have to use ebay instead.

Most of the new interns at SCGH are fellow UWA graduates. But there were a few unfamiliar faces amongst the crowd - there are three graduates from interstate, coming back home to Perth to begin their new careers as doctors alongside the rest of us. It was a weird feeling talking to them - because unlike school or university, I will probably hardly ever see them again, and thus forming friendships is going to be unlikely. Hopefully we get to know them better through all the social events this year.

Work officially starts in earnest next Monday. My first term is going to be Cardiology. Having never worked a term there as a medical student, it will be interesting to see how I go - iin any case I'm quietly confident in my ability to handle being an intern. There are two other interns working the same job as me first up. Both of them are great girls and I'm really looking forward to working with them and having some fun. It should be a great year.

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home